Thursday, March 26, 2015

The Wonder of Rhiannon


Her name was stored in my back pocket for years before she was born. Like an old boyfriend's phone number on a scrap of paper, folded and creased to tatters, it was a preserved remnant of my teenage enlightenment years. Like so many other young women of my era inspired by Stevie Nicks I vowed that some day I would name my own daughter  Rhiannon. She would ring like a bell through the night. While my naïve expectation was that she would take to the sky like a bird in flight these days I ask myself - I ask my Creator - will she ever win?

As she closes in on a third year of chronic illness, today she will undergo major surgery that I hope and pray puts an end to her pain and suffering and enables her to spread her wings. Trust me, no one deserves it more.

Born tiny and struggling and fighting for every minute, Natalie Merchant’s Wonder is probably a more appropriate anthem for Rhiannon. Starting life at hardly three pounds Fate did smile on her, and Destiny visited her neonatal intensive care cradle laughing in the face of every medical prediction:

Know this child will be able
Laughed as my body she lifted
Know this child will be gifted
With love, with patience and with faith
She’ll make her way

Beyond surviving the first six months, I was told not to expect a lot of things other mom’s take for granted: walking, talking, intellect… boy were they wrong. She not only walked she ran, she not only talked she advocated, and she not only learns but she thinks and acts with a moral compass that puts most people to shame.

Rhiannon endured physical and occupational therapy, countless surgical procedures, and the kind of personal hardship that goes along with having a disability that made her invisible to most of her peers.

People see me
I’m a challenge to your balance
I’m over your heads
How I confound you and astound you
To know I must be one of the Wonders
Of God’s own creation
And as far as you can see you can offer me no explanation

That’s okay, she trumped them. Inducted into the National Honor Society, she ran cross-country like a champion even though she finished dead last at every meet. Joined the human rights club and took the anti-bullying bill to the Statehouse and gave eloquent testimony in favor of the right to be treated decently for the bill that is now law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.


That's right I'm the proud mother of Rhiannon. Today she is in the fight of her life and can use all your blessings, your prayers, your good wishes, your light. Who or what ever you believe will carry the day should be tapped on the shoulder and reminded that Rhiannon has had quite enough and deserves to win.

All your life you have never seen a woman
Taken by the wind
Would you stay if she promised you heaven?
Will you ever win?
Will you ever win?




*Update: Rhiannon came out of the surgery just before noon with a good but not perfect outcome. Knowing it could have been a lot worse leaves us grateful. Her road to recovery will require one more surgery in six weeks time. Please keep those well wishes and prayers going as she soldiers on.


5 comments:

  1. So beautifully and tenderly written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Prayers & Blessings. I will be sending healing energy her way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Positive energy and prayers sent her way. What a smile on that girl!🌻

    ReplyDelete
  4. <3 Prayers for this beautiful girl! She has inspired so many!

    ReplyDelete