Monday, February 29, 2016

Feelin' the Bern, but standing by my girl

Putting the GOP circus aside for a minute, this primary certainly has given me a lot to consider. With Super Tuesday just hours away I found myself still weighting the pros and cons of each of the democratic front-runners.

I have donated to both Hillary and Bernie. They are close on so many issues including women’s rights to equal pay, abortion, same sex marriage, affordable higher education, climate change, social justice, and the economy.

Hillary is more conservative when it comes to defense and international issues but also has more international exposure, which can be interpreted as both good and bad thing.

They differ on things like Wall Street reform and ObamaCare but not divisively. It’s Bernie’s soft stance on gun control that gives me a bit of pause for doubt.

They agree on campaign finance reform even as Hillary enjoys more deep pocketed support. Yeah, I feel the Bern when I see the percentage of super PAC donations to her campaign. I guess it is something she would need to give up if she had to run for a second term.

At the end of the day I want to back a candidate with integrity who can muster a broad base of liberal support to go up against whatever this Republican lunacy churns out. To be honest, it could be either of them. There is a dilemma the GOP would love to have.

Bernie has the young progressives in a virtual lock. Hillary draws strong support from women and minority voters.

Both Hillary and Bernie have vulnerabilities that can be exploited, but the one thing I am confident in is that at the end of this primary season the Democratic Party will not cannibalize itself the way Republicans have.

So tomorrow Hillary will get my vote by a virtual coin toss of my liberal sensibilities. Which speaks to the relative decorum democrats have exhibited during this primary season.

Lets hope it lasts.

I can only hope that who ever ultimately gets the Democratic nomination can run a solidly sane campaign right through the middle of the GOP clowns to victory in November.


No comments:

Post a Comment