Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Here I am. Where'd I go?

Every time I think I'm going to make a serious commitment to contribute to this blog more regularly something comes up. I let it slide and then I take a look back and can see it's been months since I last posted anything. In my own defense, it was a busy summer and I did get a lot of other things done.

Mom and me at the Aquinnah Powwow
First there was family in abundance. I am so blessed with such a large and loyal extended family who all like to gather at my home or around my fire pit. They are vital to my mother and her on going journey into her elder years. She will be 94 in January and while her memory is failing she has retained a diverse kit of tools to fend off dementia. She reads and studies photos constantly. When a visitor comes she becomes a stealth detective with questions like, "who is back at your house?" and "where do you live now?" The answers provide her clues to the visitor's identity and even if she never guesses who they are she has started a good conversation.

Best of all mom travels well. If there was some place to go or someone to see we were there. From volley ball, to dancing at Dino's on the deck, to the powwow on Martha's Vineyard she was always ready to rock and roll.

Much of the summer was spent gathering interviews and photos and stories about the raid on the Mashpee Nine in 1976. I had the pleasure of working with my intrepid intern Douglas Pocknett Jr. who became a fan of my cooking while helping me to navigate social media.

Summer became fall all too quickly along with a fast deadline to complete the next theme of the "Our"Story: 400 Years of Wampanoag History exhibit. I knew Captured 1614 would be a tough act to follow but having just viewed the video for the Messenger Runner starring Weeden cousins Attaquin and Brian, I have a feeling no one will be disappointed.

Now that I can refocus my attention on the Mashpee Nine documentary I have a new production assistant on board to help keep the project on track. Tribal member Talia Landry will be a welcome addition to the crew and just in time for us to be invited to present at the Indigenous Coast to Coast Film Festival at UNH next month. Whew!

So stay tuned. The "Our"Story exhibit new theme will debut on November 12 at the Mashpee Wampanoag Tribal Government Center while Mashpee Nine: The Beat Goes on is due to premier in time for out 2016 Mashpee Wampanoag Powwow.

Meanwhile, I will try to stay in touch.


No comments:

Post a Comment